Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tests!

Time to glaze! 

but first you must test! and test again! and test againnnnn!!! 

For this project I knew right off the bat what kind of surface treatment I wanted: a soft pallet of matte tan/yellows or dark greens that had a small, gentle gradient. I started my research in Val Cushing's Handbook with three cone six matte/satin-matte base glazes: VC "71", VC " 72" and ND V. WIth those bases, I then developed a system for adding colorants at increasing percentages. The colorants I used were Nickle Oxide, Chrome, and Rutile. At the same time, for my materials class I was testing Albany Slip in a line blend with Talc! 
here's a photo of my sketchbook with all my recipes and percentages!
and here's a photograph of my results for the VC bases! 
and for my Albany Slip/Talc line blend!
I decided to go with the middle of the line blend
because it was perfect!!
exactly what I was looking for: a gentle gradient of earthy warm yellow/tans! 
My next step was to test this glaze on the clay body
I was using for my final project to make sure it fit well
and it did!

next up..glaze everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment