Thursday, November 11, 2010

Putting the pieces together...


 Out of the glaze firing and ready to get on that wall!

The way I was to attach each piece to the wall was extremely
important and really had to be considered.

My plan was to assemble the pieces together across the space 
so you felt a sense of organic movement and flow.
If I was to use nails or something similar to hang them on, 
I was afraid it wouldn't develop naturally- and instead look stiff and constructed. 
Another problem with a nail-like situation would be that each piece would then be governed by gravity, 
and therefore would not be able to keep particular angles.

Solution: Thumb Tacks!!

With a giant pair of wire cutters, I successfully
snipped off the end bit of each tack. 
I then hot glued each half tack into the back of each piece!
Creating over 200 push-pin-able pieces!


Now comes the tricky part...
assembling!
Going into installation was a bit nerve racking. 
Out of every part of the process that got me this far
this was the most frustrating yet most fun and rewarding.
I worked naturally and organically. 
I had a general sense of what I wanted it to end up like 
but I mostly relied on my feelings as I went along. 
Working on the bulletin board to the right of my chosen wall,
I created there and then transferred sections over one at a time. 
It took a good long while,
many breaks where I just sat across from my progress and stared, 
as well as some of my favorite songs on repeat...



but here it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment